Deep-fried foods are very popular in the world. Whether you live in the northern hemisphere or southern hemisphere of the world, deep-fried food is always a favourite for everyone. To prepare deep-fried food, most of the people prefer to use a deep fryer. Deep fryers use both gas and electricity to heat the oil. There are more chances of oil spills during cooking, and it may even cause a fire. Here, let us look at some of the important safety tips that you should follow to use your deep fryer safely and efficiently.
Deep Fryer Safety Tips
- Keep the deep fryer outdoors while preparing dinner. Deep fryer requires more air circulation, and it will avoid accidents inside the house.
- Avoid keeping the deep fryer on the garages or in decks made of wood. Any fire in deep fryers may lead to severe damage if the floor is made of wood.
- Choose the oil that has a high smoking point. The smoking point is the maximum temperature at which the oil will start to smoke and burn. Make sure that you use the oil with a high smoking point so that you get the desired flavor of the food. Your food gets the perfect fry at an ideal temperature of 180 degrees Celsius, so make sure that the oil that is used as a smoke point is above 180 degrees Celsius. Sesame oil, Sunflower oil, olive oil, avocado oil, almond oil, corn oil, and canola oil are best for frying foods at a higher temperature.
- If the burner is kept on, someone should attend the deep fryer. Most of the deep fryers don’t have an automatic off option after the oil reaches the desired temperature. So you must check the temperature of the oil frequently and adjust the flame.
- Do not fill your fryer to the maximum limit. If the tank is full, then there are more chances for the oil to splash outside, and it is harmful to the one near the deep fryer. Similarly, the heat from the oil may create breathing problems for the one attending the fryer. So keep in mind to fill the only ¾ of the tank and not full.
- If the food is wet, remove the excess moisture and fry, because the water in the food may cause the oil to splitter around the deep fryer and may create harm to others. You can use paper towels and other techniques to remove the excess moisture from your food before frying it.
- Make sure that the food is thawed completely. If the food is not thawed properly, the water inside the food may cause a spill of the oil during frying.
- Always use protective equipment while cooking in a deep fryer. Oven mitts and pot holders should be used while lifting the baskets from the oil, and if you are changing or filtering the oil, use steam gloves. These protective gear will increase your love for cooking.
- After frying the food in the deep fryer, remove the food using tongs or a slotted spoon. Always make sure that you never use plastic near the deep fryers. Wear steam gloves while removing the food from the fryer.
- Don’tDon’t test the temperature of the food inside the deep fryer. It may lead to improper thermometer reading. Testing the internal temperature of the food inside the fryer is not a good idea because the thermometer will show inaccurate reading, which may result in the undercooking of the food.
- If you are frying a turkey, make sure that the turkey is immersed completely inside the oil with few inches of oil at the top. The whole turkey needs 45- 60 minutes for complete cooking, so you must make sure that the oil level is perfect.
- The recommended frying time for any type of food varies between 3 -5 minutes per pound. You can calculate the approximate cooking time for your food and deliver crispy and juicy fried food.
- It is always better to have the lids near the deep fryer. If possible, you can use it during cooking for covering the food.
- If the cooking is complete, turn off the deep fryer and allow it to cool completely. Make sure that you have unplugged the cable and removed the lid for cooling the oil.
- It generally takes around 2 hours for the oil to cool down to room temperature. You can reuse oil 2 -3 times for deep frying. So you can filter the oil with a damp cloth or sieve and store it properly.
Used cooking oil can be recycled to produce biodiesel. So if there is any drop- point near your place, make sure to recycle your oil. By following these safety tips, make sure that you have a nice summer this year. Get geared up to prepare awesome lip-smacking fried food.